INTIMACY – Cultivating the practice of moment-by-moment communion with Christ. Sensitivity to His prompting, sensitivity to sin, dependency upon Him in the littlest of things, humility, gentleness, perhaps even brokenness.
“I am the vine itself, you are the branches. It is the man who shares my life and whose life I share who proves fruitful. For the plain fact is that apart from Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 – Phillips)
IMMEDIACY – The antennas are up, aware, utilizing every opportunity to lovingly and graciously share the love of Christ with others. Reflective indeed of Paul’s mind-set:
“So, naturally, we proclaim Christ! We warn everyone we meet, (evangelism) and we teach everyone we can, all that we know about Him, (discipleship) so that, if possible, we may bring every man up to his full maturity in Christ Jesus. This is what I am working at all the time, with all the strength that God gives me.” (Colossians 1:28, 29 – Phillips)
Perhaps their motto is: “if not you – who? If not now – When?”
Notice the guidelines Paul gives, derived from Colossians 4:5, 6; 2 Timothy 2:24-26:
- Wise. Clever and skilled.
- Utilizing every opportunity. Immediacy.
- Gracious: Gentle, meek, humble, mild. Patient, enduring evil or ill-will.
- Salty: Pointed; not insipid; “an edge of liveliness” (Knox Translation)
- Correcting: Chastening, educating, teaching and training.
- Not quarrelsome: Not disputing or striving.
SUGGESTION: Can you take a moment and ask God, “Lord, if I am not walking intimately with you, why? And if I lack a sense of immediacy in getting the Gospel to others, why?